Self-Regulation at THRIVE
The Algoma Self-Reg Community of Practice is a community of practice aiming to collectively apply a consistent framework of self-regulation in our homes, schools, and organizations. Self-regulation is an often misunderstood thing, and researchers around the world are working to clarify it. THRIVE, along with many other organizations in Sault Ste. Marie and the Algoma District* are educating themselves on the most up to date self-regulation research and are using this information to help families across our district.
At THRIVE we use the research by Dr. Stuart Shanker (Self-Reg) and Dr. Ross Greene (Collaborative and Proactive Solutions) to inform our philosophies and approach to behavioural challenges.
To learn more about these approaches, please explore the following information:
Dr. Stuart Shanker’s Self-Reg:
- What is Self-Reg?
- In this video, released by The MEHRIT Centre, Stuart Shanker provides a succinct and clear answer to the question, “What is Self-Reg,” by explaining the relationships between stress and self-regulation in the five domains where we experience stress.
- Self-Reg in 60 Seconds Video Series with Dr. Shanker:
- The Mehrit Centre’s website:
Dr. Ross Greene’s Collaborative and Proactive Solutions:
- Overview of Collaborative & Proactive Solutions (CPS)
- In this inaugural edition of Parenting Your Challenging Child, Dr. Greene describes how challenging kids come to be challenging: they’re lacking the skills not to be challenging. This perspective represents a dramatic departure from viewing challenging kids as manipulative, attention-seeking, unmotivated, coercive, and limit-testing. A great introduction to Dr. Greene’s model for parents.
- Parent Walking Tour:
- Lives in the Balance website:
To learn more about THRIVE’s Self-Regulation Clinic, please review the following handout: Occupational Therapy Self-Regulation Clinic: What to Expect
*Agencies involved in the Algoma Self-Reg Community of Practice include: