Assistive Communication &
Writing Aids Clinic
Supporting Face to Face Communication and Writing Aids
THRIVE’s Assistive Communication and Writing Aids Clinic is one of 18 designated Assistive Devices Program (ADP) clinics across the province. Services are provided through a team approach combining the expertise of Speech Language Pathology and Occupational Therapy. The clinic provides support to home and school for both face to face, and writing aids services. Eligibility for ADP funding is determined at your clinic appointment.
Who is eligible?
- Individuals who are unable to meet their functional face-to face communication needs through spoken word alone
- Individuals who are unable to meet their functional writing needs because of fine motor differences
- Goal Setting
Here are some examples of children who could benefit from a face-to-face device:
- Children who can’t be understood most of the time.
- Children who have difficulty coordinating their muscles for speech
- Children who get frustrated when trying to communicate.
Here are some examples of children who could benefit from support for writing:
- Children whose handwriting is illegible.
- Children who have fine motor difficulties.
- Children who are frustrated and inefficient when trying to write by hand.
- Referrals are accepted from parents and professionals, by phone or mail
- Contact THRIVE at 705-759-1131/1-855-759-1131, ex. 223 or 202 to obtain our referral form
- Fill out the referral form and submit it to the Centre